Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Artist's Way Influence

I had to laugh as the last time that I blogged was when I returned from DJ's class in Arizona. Well, now I've just returned from Art Quilt Tahoe. There is probably a connection with when I'm feeling most creative and when I blog. Hummm.

At Art Quilt Tahoe I took a class from Sue Benner. What I enjoyed most about the class was her approach to teaching. It had a real "university" sort of feel. Where she lectured, then brought in the Art History part of the material and then gave us an assignment. I started the week feeling pretty bulish about my ability to create art in an abstract way with scissors and gobs and gobs of Wonder Under, in the middle felt totally incompetent about my Art Quilt Abilities, and then at the end hopeful that I'd practice and refine everything that I learned for the week. Call me a fraidy cat, but I'm not posting the pictures of my work from the week. It was scary.

When I got home, my sewing room was totally avoided as I didn't want to face the unfinished project from this class, the thing really needed the waste basket not more wonder under. After ruminating about it for several days, the project was thrown away and plans in place for a much simpler undertaking. In my Art Quilt Workbook, they have this simple pear. I think that I'll practice layering techniques with a much easier project. The thing that I was really struggling with was how to build the background. Many larger pieces, smaller pieces, what technique would you use and what effect would each technique actually produce? Art Quilt Group is Thursday night, so I need to get working on some options this evening for that Pear.

I think that I'll try one background, then pear provided in the workbook. Then do a scrappy back pear, with pear from the book, how about one fabric back and scrappy pear, scrappy back and scappy pear. Then I'd LOVE to cut up one of the compositions and see what you get with refusing. Giving myself a time limit of saying 10-15 minutes per composition is probably a good goal. I'll probably pick out 5-8 FQs size pieces of fabric and try to make all compositions from these materials. I'll post what I have tomorrow.

Something else really has been bothering me, which is effective use of HTML as a markup language or using a more intuitive product for website design. I will do some research on tools and approaches but it feel that my skillset, although it still works, is a bit behind the times. Should be simpler to make mods to my website that it is and I'm thinking that a bit of research would make me much more effective. Other crazy ruminations are effects of the global economy on not only large scale businesses but how do small businesses actually connect with this trend of a more global economy? This is vexing me right now.

No comments: