Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What are your new years resolutions? It boils down to what do you want more of and what do you want less of and being able to articulate those ideas and feelings in a way that at least your own brain understands.

I've been thinking a lot about: "am I doing the things today that will yield the results I want tomorrow. " Really focusing on not only finding center but also grabbing a little further. As a good friend of mine said "I don't wish you peace my friend, I wish you glory", peace is too easy, glory is harder but the rewards greater.

On the creative front, I've been trying to finish some projects in my studio. It is always a balance, taking on something really large and hard or something smaller that will create more generative creative thought. In some ways I have purposfully worked on larger projects, through that process it has allowed me to find true patience. Really slowing down and enjoying the process but still being focused on an outcome, a finishing point.

I love DJ Pettitt, she is so amazing. She gets up everyday and puts a lot of energy into the creative journey. What I'm so inspired by is that she trys new things literally everyday. She has a few fundamental techniques for finishing, like using a heat press, that she really stays true to, but the art itself and the process of construction she really varies. I think one of the things I really want more of is short little projects, where you are focusing on a technique or tools, something to stretch yourself, to wake up the creative spirit.

I just got in a new book that I'm finding really inspiring. Katie Pasquini and Brett Barker have a new book called Color and Composition. I'm taking a class next year and I think this will be a good start on that week. Here is a link to the book, take a look and I'll be posting more on my thoughts for this book in the coming days.

http://www.quilted-banty.com/cgi-images/image_display.cgi?account=banty&image=10377.jpg

A quote for you to think about "...decide...whether or not the goal is worth the risks involved. If it is, stop worrying...." take a risk today.

No comments: